ESP8266: Artnet receiver
The other I was playing with a matrix of led. The matrix is made of a stripe of WS2801.
So, here is what I have done.
- I flash a new lua based firmware in the ESP8266 using Marcel’s NodeMCU custom build cloud service.
Add WS2801 and / or WS2812 modules
- Wait and download the compiled firmware
- Flash it using the tool ESPtool
- I use ESPlorer to program the ESP
- Create a new ini.lua
- Copy the following lines of code.
This is for a matrix 10×10 “snakelines”
wifi.setmode(wifi.STATION) wifi.sta.config("******","******",1) tmr.delay(5000000) -- wait 1,000,000 us = 1 second ws2801.init(0, 2) tmr.delay(1000000) ws2801.write(string.char(0,0,0):rep(100)) s=net.createServer(net.UDP) s:on("receive",function(s,c) ws2801.write(string.sub (c, 19, 318)) end) s:listen(6454)
- Use Jinx or Glediator (I prefer Jinx) to drive the matrix and send the Artnet commands to the ESP8266
It works very well.
The code is simple and works well. I haven’t tried on large matrix but I think for larger matrix a fast wifi connection would be needed.